Friday, November 28, 2014

Strength

Strength -- A couple of years ago I got that word tattooed on my foot. I got it for one important reason: I needed it to remind myself everyday just how strong I am capable of being. I'm not talking about the kind of strength it takes to lift something heavy, but the strength it takes to hold an imaginary weight on your shoulders. My family and friends tell me all the time how strong and brave I am, that I'm going out and attempting to make my life better. In truth though I am not as strong as I look, I am pretty good at putting up a facade, and I fight everyday to stay strong. I may look like I've got it all figured out and everything is going as planned, but really I have no idea what I'm doing and I worry all the time that things won't work out. I think that everybody goes through this same thing at least once, if not more, in their life. I have worked hard the last six years to put my past behind me, to push myself to be the person I'm truly meant to be. Strength, is something that has brought me through. In all honesty I don't think everyone could have traveled down the same road I did and make it to the other side. It was more than just something inside of me though, it was all the people in my life; my family and friends and all the new friends I gained along the way. They are the reason I keep fighting everyday; the thought that my strength is their strength. They need me as much as I need them, and my life is important to them. I think that is something others should take from, that the life you live isn't lived just for you alone but all those around you as well. Your strength emanates in the lives of others and vice-versa. No matter how alone with your struggles you feel there are always those who are around to share your burdens, whether it be the god you believe in or family and friends or a significant other or a therapist you probably pay way to much for. It took me a while to figure it out, but when I did I realized that even though I feel alone that I'm never really alone and that gives me strength. So looking at that word inked into my skin reminds me of so much more than a word, it reminds me of my struggles all the things I went through and the knowledge that I have the ability to beat anything that crosses my path; it also reminds me of all the people who I draw that strength from and those same people who need me to be strong.

“I am thankful for my struggle because without it, I wouldn't have stumbled upon my strength.”
― Alexandra Elle

No comments:

Post a Comment