Sunday, May 3, 2015

Gives Me Hope

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart." - Anne Frank
I am never surprised by the bad things that happen in the world, honestly I expect them. Bad things seem to happen a lot more often than the good things, maybe its because the bad things are easier... easier to do, easier to see, easier to accept as real. Despite everything though I truly think at heart the world is good, that people are good and everyday I witness another thing that gives me hope in humanity. As a civilization we have many faults; we are quick to violence, quick to see the worst in everyone and every situation. But even with all those things we have one thing that is truly remarkable, we have love. Love is what makes a young man give up his seat to an elderly woman on the train. Love is what brings us together after a natural disaster. Love is what makes us do those little things that bring light to someones day.  Love and kindness are what give us our humanity, without them we are nothing more than chaotic creatures. I was lucky growing up, I had love all around me; family and friends who loved me. I grew up with love in my heart and the need to love others and see love in everything and everyone. I have also been broken, torn down, and stomped on; but what I realized is that even though there are bad things and people who do bad things that there is one thing stronger, love. Not only love, but beauty; I'm not talking about beauty as in vanity I'm talking about the beautiful things all around us. The sun as it sets on the horizon, the rain as it drips down the window, the smell of freshly cut grass. These things are what make all the bad in the world tolerable, they make all the violence and the hate and the anger bearable. Because even though those things happen, we know that when they are over that those beautiful things will still be there, because love and beauty those things will never disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment