Thursday, October 2, 2014

Colin Stokes: How movies teach manhood



Just saw this video and I felt the need to share it. I realize that in the world today the lines that separate men and women are starting to blur, but the truth is that those lines are still there. I am a feminist and I believe strongly in equal rights and equality of all, but what I think we as a nation fail to realize is that as hard as we try to make women stronger and more independent men are not being made to change as well. Now I don't want my words to be taken the wrong way so I will try to explain. Like this video is trying to explain, boys grow up watching movies that portray men as the dominant character. Women are very seldom portrayed as anything other than a damsel in distress, all love struck and defenseless. Don't get me wrong I love romantic comedies, but the issue with most of these movies is that it shows a woman needs a man. There is a quote that I think is really important for young girls to know, "A women needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle." Society is working hard to promote strength in young girls, but we also need promote respect and understanding in young boys. Movies need to show more men working alongside women, showing men who are more than just the conquering hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment