Sunday, October 12, 2014

Meaghan Ramsey: Why thinking you're ugly is bad for you





I know I have posted quite a few Ted Talk videos, but I have another that I felt like sharing. One of the first things she talks about is a young girl posting a video on YouTube asking if she's ugly or not. The comments that Meaghan shows almost made me cry. To think that people would say such terrible things astounds me, because in no way is that young girl ugly. I know that Meaghan focuses on girls in her talk, but she also talks about boys as well. Some of the statistics and research findings she presents are staggering; I am amazed that even something such as how well you do on an exam and your overall GPA can become affected by how you perceive your appearance. I speak from experience when I say that I too struggle daily with whether or not I look good enough, and I think that a lot of people do. But how can we hope to change anything, how can a young impressionable girl feel beautiful when people are telling her how ugly she is? I think that the basis of Meaghan's idea is something that in the long run could change the way young people look in the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment