Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Representations of Gender in Advertising



Just saw this video, I feel like it kind of goes along with my last post. It describes gender roles in advertising, the statistics are based on Canadian society but I think they are pretty similar wherever you live. It amazes me how media portrays women and men; whether its advertisements, commercials, music videos, etc. Women are shown in such sexual and submissive roles, whereas men are shown as dominant and powerful. It is something that has always bothered me, mostly because people take one look at me and automatically assume I am weak. I was raised strong, I am capable of doing things most men can't even do and it bothers me that I am so quickly judged solely on the fact that I am a feminine woman. Gender stereotypes are the reason so many people are unhappy with the way they truly are, society tells us we have to look and act certain ways and really we should just be whoever we want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment