Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween!

Halloween is my favorite holiday, it's the one day out of the year that you have permission to be whoever or whatever you want, the skies the limit. Although I still think the classics are the best; vampire, witch, ghost, zombie... and you can interpret them however you want. What I really love about Halloween is its history whether All Hallows Eve or Day of the Dead. A time for remembering the dead a celebration of those who have passed on. Today Halloween has become a day of scares, trick-or-treating, and carving pumpkins. As long as I can remember I looked forward to the week before Halloween when I got to carve pumpkins, I loved digging my fingers into the slimy innards. Oh, and trick-or-treating I sure miss those days. Spending all evening dressed up in my cute little costumes knocking on strangers doors. I have fond memories of coming home to my father watching some scary black and white movie on TV and I'd sit at the table and pour out my bag full of candy so I could sort through it. And when I got old enough I finally got to go to a haunted house, screaming when something jumped out at me... and nothing is scarier than a clown with a chainsaw. As I get older it seems like those exciting Halloween things are getting farther and farther away, life seems to get in the way. I hope someday life will slow down enough and I'll have kids of my own and Halloween will become what it used to be for me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment